Monday, May 14, 2012

Between a Mom & Daughter: Happy Mother's Day!


Let me start this post by saying HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to all of you wonderful, stupendous mothers out there! As daughters, we ARE thankful for you and you have blessed and impacted us more than you know.  Secondly, I found it quite comical that as I was driving home from Arkansas yesterday from being in one of the bestie's weddings, my husband found it fit to text me a video message wishing ME a Happy Mother's day because I am a mom to our dog and cat. Go, Jeff, go.  Not quite the same, but I'll appreciate it:)

Today, Mom and I are blogging about what this special day we celebrated yesterday means to the both of us.  So, don't you forget to check out her superb post today!

Mother's Day is such a beautiful reminder of how God has manifested himself through mankind.  Why did God create man AND woman and not just man? From reading Scripture, I see this as He displays certain aspects of His character through men, and certain aspects through women, and specifically mothers.

Proverbs 31 is an all too familiar passage to a Christian woman, but I love how certain parts talk about her being a Godly wife, and then certain sections focus on her being a Godly mother.  As daughters, there are specific things we do notice and take from our mothers on how we want to be when we are a mom.  Something I love about my mom is that she expresses her love through service and gifts.  My mom was constantly driving us around, paying for extra-curricular activities, attending our events, and I know she still does this for Carlton and Madelyn.  Readers, she jumped into it right away! I also noticed how my mom would show her love to us by leaving us random gifts with encouraging notes.  I would get home from school and there would be a brand new shirt on my bed with a note telling me how much she loved me.  Even now, being miles apart, my mom will send me random packages with sweet little gifts and it totally makes my day!  My mom also instilled in us the importance of a relationship with Jesus and growing that relationship by the reading of His Word and prayer.

I am at the point in my life where a lot of my friends are starting to have kids, and it makes me a little nervous to imagine the kind of mother I'll be one day.  Will I have patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, self control? (Gal 5:22-23)  Will I engrain the importance of a relationship with Jesus and still love them graciously when they stumble?  I certainly hope so.  What a beautiful privilege it must be to be a mom, whether through physically birthing children, adoption, step-parenting or just being a mother-like figure in someone's life!  Moms, you ARE special and especially from this daughter's perspective, well adored:)

1 comment: