Saturday, November 19, 2011

traveling...with pets

I don't know about you, but whenever Jeff and I go out of town we usually take our animals.  Call me a softy, or a sucker, but I just can't bear the thought of a) putting them in a kennel b) PAYING for a kennel or c) being without my animals for a prolonged period of time.  Maybe this is because we had to be without them for so long before we moved into our new home, that I'm making up for lost time.  

The reason I bring this up is because Jeff and I are getting ready to spending several days with our family in Arlington, and yep, you guessed it...we're taking the animals.  On a sad note, Jeff's parents had to put down two of their animals on the same day about a week ago.  Their black lab, Duke (aka BoBo) was 14 years old, and their cat, Simba, was around the same age.  It was a very emotional weekend for us all.  I think it will be good for us to bring Obi and Zeek so the Garners can have their spirits lifted by our playful animals.  

Obi and Zeek have always been good travelers.  I think it's partially because my car has so much space, and we usually put one of the seats up to fit Obi's crate in it.  Obi usually lays down in the back seat or on the floor on a blanket when he sleeps, or he's sitting in the middle of the back with his face on the arm rest.  Zeek, is a little more adventurous.  For example: he thinks he can drive.  

 
Or he thinks the dashboard is an appropriate place to chill. 


All this to say, we are always willing to drive with our animals, because they're really low maintenance.  We always end up stopping once on the way for a bathroom/water break.  And the only time I let my dog eat anything but dog food or a treat is when I feed him beef jerky on our road trips--it's our thing:)  I'm excited about our little vacay, and am sooo ready to enjoy good food, fellowship and family time!

No comments:

Post a Comment